Based on the existing light tank, the Pz.Kpfw. II, this self-propelled artillery vehicle was developed for the German army in 1942 and saw its baptism of fire during the Battle of Kursk. With an increased hull length, it was able to accommodate the 10.5cm FH18 howitzer. Thanks to its good mobility and partially protected gun compartment, it was able to operate near the front lines. This ensured the artillery support of the infantry units during combat. With a production that reached more than 650 units between 1943 and 1945, this self-propelled artillery vehicle became the standard medium howitzer for the panzer and panzergrenadier divisions.