The Sexton II was a WWII self-propelled gun (SPG) built in Canada by the Montreal Locomotive Works. The Sexton mounted the famed British 25-pdr howitzer. The Sexton appeared in 1943 and early examples of the SPG (125 vehicles) were based on the Ram chassis. However, the majority used the Grizzly (Canadian M4A1 Sherman) chassis. These were known as the Sexton Mk. II and approximately 2,000 vehicles were manufactured for use by Canadian, British and other Commonwealth armies. This 25.86-tonne SPG was first used in Italy, and they were also widely used in France and Western Europe in the wake of the Normandy landings. The SPG operated with a crew of six men.